Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Recharter of NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:04:11 -0700 (PDT)

A modified charter has been submitted for the NETCONF Data Modeling
Language (netmod) working group in the Operations and Management Area of
the IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified
charter is provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Thursday,
October 21, 2010.

NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)
-----------------------------
Last Modified: 2010-10-12

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs: 
David Partain <[email-masked]> 
David Kessens <[email-masked]>

Area Director: 
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing List
Address:	[email-masked]
To Subscribe:	[email-masked]
Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/

Description:

The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be used for
configuration management. However, the NETCONF protocol does not include
a modeling language or accompanying rules that can be used to model the
management information that is to be configured using NETCONF. The
NETMOD working group has defined the data modeling language YANG but no
IETF models exist yet. The purpose of the NETMOD working group is to
support the ongoing deployment of YANG by developing a set of core YANG
data models and other activities that will allow network operators to
use YANG for configuration and management of network elements.

The NETMOD Working Group will initially work on the following items:

1. Core system data model
2. Core interface data model
3. Core routing data model that can be augmented with routing
  protocol specifics. This requires appropriate active editorial
  participation from routing experts and review at WGLC by the Routing
Area
  working group.
4. SMIv2 translation to YANG for read-only operational data and
  notifications. Guidance will be provided on how to reference existing
  data structures in SMIv2 from YANG.

The NETMOD Working Group will not work on another version of YANG. All
new charter items must be fully interoperable with implementations of
RFC 4741bis and/or RFC 6020. It will also not serve as a review team for
YANG modules developed by other working groups.

The WG will consult with the NETCONF working group to ensure that
NETMOD's decision do not conflict with planned work in NETCONF.

Goals and Milestones:

 Oct 2010 Submission of individual draft(s) of System data model draft
 Oct 2010 Submission of individual draft(s) of Interface data model
 Oct 2010 Submission of individual draft(s) of Routing data model
 Oct 2010 Submission of individual draft(s) of SMIv2 translation to YANG
 Dec 2010 Submit first working group draft of System data model draft
 Dec 2010 Submit first working group draft of Interface data model
 Dec 2010 Submit first working group draft of Routing data model
 Dec 2010 Submit first working group draft of SMIv2 translation to YANG
 Apr 2011 Submit SMIv2 to YANG translation to the IESG (proposed standard)

 Apr 2011 Submit System data model to the IESG (proposed standard)
 Aug 2011 Submit Interface data model to the IESG (proposed standard)
 Aug 2011 Submit Routing data model to the IESG (proposed standard) 
_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work