Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-arkko-townsley-coexistence-04

From: Shawn Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:37:56 -0600

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This is an information draft that provides guidance for effectively 
managing IPv4/IPv6 addresses by address and protocol translation mechanisms.

The security considerations section does exist and defers to 
wing-nat-pt-replacement-comparison for some of the solutions.  
wing-nat-pt-replacement-comparison discusses possible DoS and spoofing 
attacks when sharing an IPv4 amongst multiple subscribers.  Though it 
would be nice if either this draft or the one referenced would prescribe 
techniques to mitigate such attacks.

General comments:

None.

Editorial comments:

s/reader to be consider/reader to consider/

This sentence should be restructured for readability purposes:

For deployments where the GW is owned and operated by the customer, this becomes
operational overhead for the Internet Service Provider (ISP) that it
will no longer be able to rely on the customer and the seller of the
GW device for.

s/of NAT444 need/of NAT444 needs/

s/tunnel could created/tunnel could be created/

Shawn.
--