Subject: [secdir] SECDIR Review of draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-08

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 20:43:12 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This document describes what is essentially a 'send original, not cached
flag' for LDAP.

Only security issue I can see here is that the following does not give the
purpose very clearly.

4.  Security Considerations

  This control is intended to be provided where providing service using
  copied information might lead to unexpected application behavior.
  Designers of directory applications should consider where it is
  appropriate for clients to provide this control.  Designers should
  consider whether use of copied information, in particular security and
  policy information, may result insecure behavior.

I would suggest the following instead

4.  Security Considerations

  This control is intended to be provided where providing service using
  copied information might lead to unexpected application behavior.

  Use of the Don't Use Copy control may permit an attacker to perform
  or amplify a Denial of Service attack by causing additional server
  resources to be employed.

  LDAP is frequently used for storage and distribution of security
  sensitive information, including access control and security policy
  information. Failure to use the Don't Use Copy control may thus
  permit an attacker to gain unauthorized access by allowing reliance
  on stale data.

The meaning is unchanged, but the additional context might help the reader.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 07:20:54 +0100

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
> security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
> these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This document describes what is essentially a 'send original, not 
> cached flag' for LDAP.
>
> Only security issue I can see here is that the following does not give 
> the purpose very clearly.
>

I like your text better, as it is much more explicit about threats.