Subject: [secdir] Security review of draft-morton-ippm-rfc4148-obsolete-03

From: "Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:21:17 -0700

Security review of draft-morton-ippm-rfc4148-obsolete-03

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The abstract explains the reasons for abandoning IPPM:

   This memo reclassifies RFC 4148, the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM)
   Registry as Obsolete, and withdraws the IANA IPPM Metrics Registry
   itself from use because it is obsolete.  The current registry
   structure has been found to be insufficiently detailed to uniquely
   identify IPPM metrics.  Despite apparent efforts to find current or
   even future users, no one has responded to the call for interest in
   the RFC 4148 registry during the second half of 2010.

I don't see any security impacts of this action, and I did read
the "security considerations", which I hope will be withdrawn before
submission to the RFC editor.

Hilarie