Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenence (avtcore)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:42:35 -0800 (PST)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-Time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing
list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, January 18, 2011.               

Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenence (avtcore)
-------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group
Last modified: 2010-12-03

Chairs: TBD

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors:
  Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
  Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
  Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists: TBD

Description of Working Group:

The Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, along with its associated 
profiles and payload formats provides for real-time transmission of 
audio and video over unicast and multicast transports.  RTP itself has 
been shepherded to Full Standard. Its associated profiles, extensions, 
and payload formats are currently at various levels of standards 
maturity. 

The AVTCORE working group is chartered to maintain the core RTP/RTCP 
protocols and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles. The group will 
provide architectural guidance for extending the protocols and 
guidelines for their proper use. While other working groups may be 
chartered to work on application-specific extensions to the protocols, 
extensions that are generally applicable will be developed in AVTCORE.

The AVTCORE working group will coordinate closely with the Security Area
while working on maintenance and enhancements to the SRTP Profile.

In addition to the milestones called out below, the AVTCORE working 
group's initial tasks will include completing any remaining work 
identified in those drafts from the AVT working group already in IESG 
Evaluation, with the exception of the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP 
sessions, which will complete in the AVTEXT working group.

Goals and Milestones:
Dec 2010  Submit Guideline for Choosing RTCP CNAME as Proposed Standard
Dec 2010  Submit use of AES-192 and AES-256 in Secure RTP for Proposed 
          Standard
Dec 2010  Submit Port Mapping Between Unicast and Multicast RTP Sessions 
          for Proposed Standard
Dec 2010  Submit Real-Time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) in Overlay 
          Multicast for Proposed Standard
Feb 2011  Submit Monitoring Architecture for RTP for Informational
Feb 2011  Guidelines for the use of Variable Bit Rate Audio with Secure 
          RTP as informational (or possibly BCP)
Apr 2011  Submit in band keying mechanism for SRTP draft for Proposed 
          Standard
Apr 2011  Submit Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP 
          for Proposed Standard
May 2011  RTCP indication for retransmission suppression as proposed 
          standard
Sep 2011  Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time 
          Transport Protocol (SRTP) for Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work