Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-cheshire-dnsext-special-names-01.txt

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:50:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

Overall, the document appears to be well written and I havn't found any 
security concerns with it.

I will bring up a couple of nits that the authors may want to address.

The use of the term "carve" may not be well understood by non-native 
English speakers.  Perhaps using the term "reserved" would be better.

in the IANA section, shouldn't the IESG perform the check that your 7 
questions are answered appropriately?

Along those lines, since you give examples of special-use domain names, 
wouldn't it be appropriate to start the IANA registry with those?

The last lines of section 2 are:
    processes, that process should be used. Reservation of a Special-Use
    Domain Names is not a mechanism for circumventing normal domain name
    registration processes.
I'd s/Names/Name/

Regards,
Chris