Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Recharter of Recharter of Softwires (softwire)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Softwires (softwire)
working group in the Internet Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any
determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, March 29, 2011.

Softwires (softwire)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chairs:
     Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
     Yong Cui <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Directors:
     Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
     Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Advisor:
     Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       [email-masked]
     Archive:           
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

  The Softwires Working Group is specifying the standardization of
  discovery, control and encapsulation methods for connecting IPv4
  networks across IPv6 networks and IPv6 networks across IPv4 networks
  in a way that will encourage multiple, inter-operable
  implementations.

  For various reasons, native IPv4 and/or IPv6 transport may not be
  available in all cases, and there is a need to tunnel IPv4 in IPv6
  or IPv6 in IPv4 to cross a part of the network which is not IPv4 or
  IPv6 capable. The Softwire Problem Statement, RFC 4925, identifies
  two distinct topological scenarios that the WG will provide
  solutions for: "Hubs and Spokes" and "Mesh." In the former case,
  hosts or "stub" networks are attached via individual,
  point-to-point, IPv4 over IPv6 or IPv6 over IPv4 softwires to a
  centralized Softwire Concentrator. In the latter case (Mesh),
  network islands of one Address Family (IPv4 or IPv6) are connected
  over a network of another Address Family via point to multi-point
  softwires among Address family Border Routers (AFBRs).

  The WG will reuse existing technologies as much as possible and only
  when necessary, create additional protocol building blocks.

  For generality, all base Softwires encapsulation mechanisms should
  support all combinations of IP versions over one other (IPv4 over
  IPv6, IPv6 over IPv4, IPv4 over IPv4, IPv6 over IPv6). IPv4 to IPv6
  translation mechanisms (NAT-PT), new addressing schemes, and block
  address assignments are out of scope. DHCP options developed in this
  working group will be reviewed jointly with the DHC WG.  RADIUS
  attributes developed in this working group will be reviewed jointly
  with the RADEXT WG.  The MIB Doctors directorate will be asked to
  review any MIB modules developed in the SOFTWIRE working group.  BGP
  and other routing and signaling protocols developed in this group
  will be reviewed jointly with the proper working groups and other
  workings that may take interest (e.g. IDR, L3VPN, PIM, LDP, SAAG,
  etc).

  The specific work areas for this working group are:

  1. Developments for Mesh softwires topology; the Mesh topology work
     will be reviewed in the l3vpn and idr WGs
     - multicast
     - MIB module

  2. Developments for 6rd:
     - multicast
     - operational specification
     - RADIUS option for 6rd server
     - MIB module

  3. Developments for Dual-Stack Lite (DS-Lite):
     - multicast
     - operational specification
     - RADIUS option for AFTR
     - proxy extensions; GI-DS-Lite; DS-Lite with no NAT or NAT on the
       B4 element
     - MIB module

  4. Finalize discovery and configuration mechanisms for a gateway to
     use DS-Lite or 6rd; these discovery and configuration mechanisms
     must take into a account other operating environments such as
     dual-stack and tunneling mechanisms not defined by the softwire
     WG.  Development of new mechanisms will involve the dhc and/or
     v6ops WGs as appropriate

Other work items would require WG approval and rechartering.

Goals and Milestones:
Apr 2011 Submit DS-lite RADIUS option for Proposed Standard
Apr 2011 Adopt DS-lite operational document as WG document
Jul 2011 Submit 6rd RADIUS option for Proposed Standard
Jul 2011 Submit GI DS-lite for Proposed Standard
Jul 2011 Adopt B4NAT as WG document
Aug 2011 Adopt 6rd operational document as WG document
Aug 2011 Adopt Multicast extensions document as WG document
Aug 2011 Submit DS-lite operational document for Informational
Sep 2011 Submit B4NAT for Informational
Nov 2011 Submit Multicast extensions document for Informational
Nov 2011 Submit 6rd operational document for Informational
Nov 2011 Adopt 6rd MIB module as WG document
Nov 2011 Adopt DS-lite MIB module as WG document
Nov 2011 Adopt Mesh topology MIB module as WG document
Nov 2012 Submit 6rd MIB module for Proposed Standard
Nov 2012 Submit DS-lite MIB module for Proposed Standard
Nov 2012 Submit Mesh topology MIB module for Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work