Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-mboned-mtrace-v2

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:39:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

  This draft specifies version 2 of mtrace, a multicast traceroute
facility. It provides a way to diagnose some issues with multicast
like packet loss and isolation of configuration problems. Each
router on the reverse path towards a source adds quite a bit of
information to a mtrace2 response and the draft discusses how to
diagnose problems using this information. mtrace2 seems like a useful
tool and can discover quite a bit about a network. The security
considerations deal with the fact that some of that information might
be restricted and, in that case, recommends not forwarding mtrace2 into
the network and replying appropriately-- administratively prohibited.
That seems appropriate.

  I see no issues with this draft.

  regards,

  Dan.