Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-polk-local-emergency-rph-namespace-01

From: Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 22:31:11 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document establishes a new SIP priority header field for use in
local emergency situations.

As such, this could constitute an important addition to the SIP
resource priority header fields and I assume the document has been
appropriately reviewed by the SIP community. The one consideration I
had seems already to be reasonably discussed and covered in the
document - the possibility of misuse and, through this, disruption of
service.

One comment/question though: Section 2 states: "The 'esnet' namespace
SHOULD only be used in times of an emergency, where at least one end
of the signaling is within a local emergency organization" - why is
this a "SHOULD" and not a "MUST"? After all, the acronym "esnet"
stands for "Emergency Service NETwork". (Also, on the latter part of
that sentence - is it really "within" a local emergency organization -
should it not be that the initiator is a local emergency org?)

-- Magnus