Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-gundavelli-v6ops-pmipv6-address-reservations-00

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 22:41:53 +0300

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document does two IANA allocations, one for the reserved IPv6
interface identifier for Proxy Mobile IPv6 and another for the
reserved IANA Ethernet unicast address for the Proxy Mobile IPv6. The
security considerations section points to the Proxy Mobile IPv6 RFC
(RFC5213) and Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifiers RFC (RFC 5453)
saying there is no additional security considerations known at this
point of time beyond them.

Only thing that seems bit odd, that there is no obvious point where
the allocated reserved IANA values would be inserted, so I do not know
whether the final values will be put to the RFC or whether users of
them need to go to the IANA registries to find the values. If users
are required to find the values from the IANA registries, adding
direct pointer to the registry might be useful. 
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:24:55 +0300

Sri Gundavelli writes:
> Thanks for your review. This document upon getting published should stand as
> the reference for the assigned/reserved values. The below IANA section
> should reflect the assigned/reserved values. It also identifies the
> registries from which the value will be assigned.

I would have assume those actions items to have disappear from the
final document after they been done. 

> Probably, the main section of the document can also reflect the assigned
> value. It currently says, the values will be assigned, but the following
> rewording should make it more clear.
> 
> ----
> OLD:
> This specification reserves an IPv6 interface identifier for Proxy Mobile
> IPv6 [RFC5213]. 
> 
> NEW:
> This specification reserves the IPv6 interface identifier, <IANA-1>, for the
> use of Proxy Mobile IPv6 [RFC5213].
> ---
> OLD:
> Furthermore, this specification also reserves a IANA Ethernet unicast
> address for Proxy Mobile IPv6 use.
> 
> NEW:
> Furthermore, this specification also reserves the Ethernet unicast address,
> IANA-2, for the use of Proxy Mobile IPv6.
> ----
> 
> Does this help ?

Yes.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 18:43:54 -0700

"  This document requires the following two IANA actions.

   o  Action-1: This specification reserves an IPv6 interface identifier
      for Proxy Mobile IPv6 [RFC5213].  This fixed identifier needs to
      be reserved from the registry, "Reserved IPv6 Interface
      Identifiers".

   o  Action-2: This specification reserves a IANA Ethernet unicast
      address for Proxy Mobile IPv6.  This address needs to be reserved
      from the block.  "IANA Ethernet Address block - Unicast Use".
"

----
OLD:

NEW:

NEW:

Does this help ?

Regards
Sri