Subject: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-roll-of0-15.txt

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:26:36 -0400

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the 
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the 
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat 
these comments just like any other last call comments.

   This document specifies an SMTP extension for transport and delivery
   of email messages with internationalized email addresses or header
   information.

The security considerations sections lists a number of issues to
consider with this document, and presents the issues well.  It does
not go into particular depth about what could happen if those issues
are not addressed.

For example, 3.7.2 mentions "surprising rejections" but doesn't go
into any depth beyond that nor does it explain what other failures can
happen.

Operationally it might be hard to make sure that all or none of the MX
servers support UTF8SMTPbis, especially if the MX servers might MX for
multiple domains, or be under different operational control.  What are
the situations where mixed-MX support will work or fail?  Should MX
servers need the ability to turn on or off support for this protocol
on a per-domain basis to protect against these types of failures?

Thanks,

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:58:27 -0400

Sorry, that previous email was a review of draft-ietf-eai-rfc5336bis-14.txt.
I appologize for any confusion.

-derek