Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis (bfcpbis)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:23:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications 
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as 
yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for 
informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG 
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, October 18, 2011.               

Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis (bfcpbis)
---------------------------- 
 
Status: Proposed Working Group
Last Updated: 2011-09-20

Chairs:
    TBD
 
 Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors:
    Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
    Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

 Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
    Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: TBD
    To Subscribe:       TBD
    Archive:            TBD

 The BFCPBIS working group is chartered to specify a revision of BFCP (RFC
 4582) to support using both TCP and UDP as transports. The current
 version of BFCP only supports TCP, which when both endpoints are behind
 NATs or firewalls, has a lower success rate than using the ICE
 techniques with a UDP based transport for BFCP.  The need for video
 endpoints to work in these types of environments is driving a strong
 need to support a UDP based transport as well as TCP.
 
 This WG will create a revision of RFC 4582 which adds optional
 support for UDP to BFCP. The security when using UDP will be based on
 DTLS. The updated protocol will use an existing approach (e.g., stop
 and wait with a single outstanding transaction) to provide a
 reliable, congestion safe, and TCP friendly transport. 

 In addition to providing a way for dealing with the reliable delivery
 of client-initiated transactions, the updated protocol will also be
 able to deliver server-initiated transactions reliably when
 needed. The WG will research the size of messages used and decide if
 fragmenting a request or response over multiple UDP packets is
 required.  The new protocol will be backwards compatible with RFC
 4582 when used in TCP mode.
 
 The BFCPBIS WG will coordinate closely with the MMUSIC WG to create a
 revision of RFC 4583 specifying how BFCP is signaled in SDP so that it
 supports UDP as well as TCP transports.  This WG would ask the MMUSIC WG
 to add a milestone to create a revisions of  RFC 4583 to address
 signaling the use of UDP in SDP. The WG will coordinate with
 International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium (IMTC) and other
 industry fora.

 Milestones:
 
 April 2012   Draft revision of RFC 4582 to IESG

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work