Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-12

From: Glen Zorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:02:34 +0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

EDITORIAL COMMENTS

Section 3., last paragraph: s/&UTF8SMTPbis;/UTF8SMTPbis/

Section 3.1, last paragraph: I've pretty much given up complaining about
the abominable practice of using pointers as if they were real objects
(e.g., "See [RFC5198] for a discussion...") but the use of a pointer to
a document as a noun ("normalization form [NFC] SHOULD be used" is much
too much: both confusing (Is there a document describing the NFKC
normalization form?  Sure, it's [NFC]!) and too precious by far.
STRONGLY suggest changing the text to read

   See RFC 5198 [RFC5198] for a discussion of Unicode normalization;
   normalization form NFC [UNF] SHOULD be used.  Actually, if one is
   going to do internationalization properly, one of the most
   often-cited goals is to permit people to spell their names
   correctly.  Since many mailbox local parts reflect personal names,
   that principle applies to mailboxes as well.  The NFKC [UNF]
   normalization form SHOULD NOT be used because it may lose
   information that is needed to correctly spell some names in some
   unusual circumstances.