Subject: Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-03

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:26:38 -0500

Tina, thanks for your review.

I'll clarify a few points below,

Al

At 09:15 PM 11/15/2011, Tina TSOU wrote:

I had
reviewed the draft already, but I have no knowledge to comment on the
metric model. As far as security issue is concerned, since this is a
active measurement, it suffers the drawbacks of injection of measurement
traffic which is listed well in section 9.

Yes, as the latest metric in a long series of RFCs on

metrics for Active measurement, there are no new issues.

They
should see if their model complies with RFC 1262: guideline for Internet
measurement activities.

Although 1262 is a general guideline mostly for passive collection,

there are some general implications for active measurement as well.

However, RFC 2330 covers this topic far more extensively and

specifically for active measurement in IPPM.

It
can also help if they can mention what is the threshold percentage of
measurement traffic that is tolerable and if they can quote an
approximate percentage of measurement traffic needed to inject according
to their loss metric and if it is acceptable.

This threshold has been requested by SecDir and other reviewers

outside of IPPM, but there is no value which is applicable to all

measurement circumstances. Even 1262 and 2330 decline to do this,

using general wording without providing a single numerical
threshold.

Thus, the coverage of this draft is consistent with RFC 2330 and

previous metric RFCs on the topics load and amount of measurement

needed (accuracy is a design problem that goes beyond the metric
definition).

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 02:15:01 +0000

Hi all,
I had reviewed the draft already, but I have no knowledge to comment on the metric model. As far as security issue is concerned, since this is a active measurement, it suffers the drawbacks of injection of measurement traffic which is listed well in section 9.
They should see if their model complies with RFC 1262: guideline for Internet measurement activities. It can also help if they can mention what is the threshold percentage of measurement traffic that is tolerable and if they can quote an approximate percentage of measurement traffic needed to inject according to their loss metric and if it is acceptable.

Tina