Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 11:48:35 -0800

The Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4) working group in the Internet Area of the
IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any determination
yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-01-11.

Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
  Wesley George <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
  Fred Baker <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sunset4
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sunset4/

Charter of Working Group:

   Global IPv4 addresses, once considered plentiful, are an
   increasingly scarce resource for many who wish to connect to the
   Internet today. IPv6 provides an abundance of freely available
   addresses, and while deployment alongside IPv4 has begun in
   earnest, much work remains.

   In order to fully transition the Internet to IPv6, individual
   applications, hosts, and networks that have enabled IPv6 must also
   be able to operate fully in the absence of IPv4. The Working Group
   will point out specific areas of concern, provide recommendations,
   and standardize protocols that facilitate the graceful "sunsetting"
   of the IPv4 Internet in areas where IPv6 has been deployed. This
   includes the act of shutting down IPv4 itself, as well as the
   ability of IPv6-only portions of the Internet to continue to
   connect with portions of the Internet that remain IPv4-only.

   While this work obviously spans multiple IETF areas including
   Internet, Operations, Transport, Applications, and Routing, this
   working group provides a single venue for the consideration of IPv4
   sunsetting. Work in this group shall never impede the deployment of
   IPv6, will not duplicate functions and capabilities already
   available in existing technologies, and should demonstrate
   widespread operational need. Cross- area coordination and support
   is essential.

   Disabling IPv4 in applications, hosts, and networks is new
   territory for much of the Internet today, and it is expected that
   problems will be uncovered including those related to basic IPv4
   functionality, interoperability, as well as potential security
   concerns. The working group will report on common issues, provide
   recommendations, and, when necessary, protocol extensions in order
   to facilitate disabling IPv4 in networks where IPv6 has been
   deployed.

   As a rule, deployment scenarios considered by the working group
   shall include IPv6-only nodes and networks. Work on technologies
   that involve increased sharing of global IPv4 addresses should be
   limited to what is necessary for communicating with endpoints or
   over networks that are IPv6-only.

   The initial work items are:

   * NAT64 port allocation and address sharing methods involving
     scenarios where an IPv6-only node is present (and NAT44, as it
     overlaps NAT64 address sharing and port use). This may require a
     description of the use of an existing protocol, the development
     of extensions to an existing protocol, or the definition of an
     entirely new protocol.

   * Gap analysis of IPv4/IPv6 features to facilitate IPv4 sunsetting

   * Provisioning methods to signal a dual-stack host to disable or
     depreference the use of IPv4

   Goals and Milestones:

   Mar 2013 - Submit gap analysis on IPv4 sunsetting to IESG for
              consideration as an Informational RFC

   Jun 2013 - Submit NAT64 port allocation and address sharing methods
              to IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC

   Sep 2013 - Submit provisioning methods to signal a dual-stack host
              to disable the use of IPv4 to IESG for consideration as
              Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work