Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review draft-harkins-brainpool-ike-groups-04

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 23:06:37 -0500

I have reviewed this informational document as part of the security
directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being
processed by the IESG.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

I see this draft as a useful document to achieve the bureaucratic
function of getting some elliptic curves that are already specified in
an IETF RFC into an already existing IANA Registry because that
Registry is referenced by already adopted standards (including
802.11). The only complicating factor is that the original intended
use of this Registry is deprecated so this draft provides for the
added entries to be annotated to exclude such deprecated use. (In case
you were wondering, there is no inherent problem in appropriate IANA
actions being based on an Informational RFC.)

The Security Considerations section seems to be a reasonable for the
elliptic curves covered by this draft but for that purpose.

I do not think that the Reference to RFC 2119 is necessary and the one
2119 word used, "MUST", does not need to be in all capitals.

MINOR:

arithmatical -> arithmetical

I suggest that the body of [IEEE802.11] reference be change to:

   IEEE, "Telecommunications and information exchange between systems
   Local and metropolitan area networks - Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium
   Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications", IEEE
   Std 802.11-2012, 29 March 2012.

I verified the Domain Parameters that have been copied from RFC 5639
(all but the z parameter) and they appear to have been faithfully
copied. I have not verified the test data.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]