Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc5451bis

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 20:20:50 +0800

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments ust like any other last call comments.

This ID is Standards Track and specifies specifies a header field for
use with electronic mail messages to indicate the results of message
authentication efforts.

I believe the security implications have been evaluated sufficiently in
the security considerations sections and think the draft is ok to proceed.

One personal comment IMHO:
the security considerations rely heavily on the established trust
boundary. However in section 1.2 it is declared that "How this trust is
obtained is outside the scope of this document.  It is entirely a local
matter."  So the document itself is ok, but I feel that this "local
matter" of establishing and ensuring this trust is an essential
pre-requisite for a secure system.

Best regards, Tobias