Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-karp-ops-model-07

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:02:38 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This is a useful document as an informational RFC. The technical content is
interesting and useful.

I think the document would be much improved with an introduction about what
is different for "routing protocol security" rather than, say, an endnode
authenticating to an access point, or nodes forming a peer relationship in
an overlay network.  So, for instance, "normal security issues" (i.e.,
outside the scope of KARP) might assume the network is up, so that it's
possible to get CRLs, or be available to be managed, whereas perhaps KARP
is targetting cases which depend on less infrastructure.  It would be nice
if this document were to have an introduction that talks about things like
that.

As for typos...3rd line up from bottom of page 14 has a glitch involving a
bunch of spaces and an extra comma after the word "peers".  And I can't
parse the last sentence of the 1st paragraph of section 7. "...complexity
of and update and risk...."

Speaking of PKI...the document talks about certificates expiring, but not
being revoked (CRL, OCSP).

Radia