Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-6man-ug-05

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:05:10 -0500

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The IPv6 addressing architecture includes a unicast interface
   identifier that is used in the creation of many IPv6 addresses.
   Interface identifiers are formed by a variety of methods.  This
   document clarifies that the bits in an interface identifier have no
   meaning and that the entire identifier should be treated as an opaque
   value.  In particular, RFC 4291 defines a method by which the
   Universal and Group bits of an IEEE link-layer address are mapped
   into an IPv6 unicast interface identifier.  This document clarifies
   that those two bits are significant only in the process of deriving
   interface identifiers from an IEEE link-layer address, and updates
   RFC 4291 accordingly.

The document states "No new security exposures or issues are raised by this
document."
In my opinion, this is accurate.

David Harrington
[email-masked]
+1-603-828-1401