Subject: [secdir] Security directorate review of draft-ietf-pim-explicit-tracking [Was: Re: Security directorate reveiw of draft-asaeda-mboned-explicit-tracking

From: Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 20:16:00 -0800

[I did it again ... Sorry about the incorrect Subject: title, I used the
original draft name, the current name is of course
draft-ietf-pim-explicit-tracking.]

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
> These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
> directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.
>
> This document describes a tracking function for multicast routers and
> proxies, intended to reduce latencies and network traffic, among other
> things.
>
> The document seems well written but the security considerations sections
> makes vague references to "serious threats" that may be introduced by
> malicious hosts on the network yet only states that "abuse" can be
> mitigated by limiting the amount of information a router can store (which
> seems like a given anyway?). It would be good if the document enumerated
> the "serious threats" and their mitigations.
>
> -- Magnus
>

-- 
-- Magnus