Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-or-03

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:07:23 -0500

SECDIR review of draft-ietf-ospf-manet-single-hop-or-03

I reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing 
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.These 
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area 
directors.Document editors, WG chairs and ADs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

As per the Abstract, this document describes use of the OSPF-MANET 
interface in single-hop broadcast networks. It is targeted as an 
Experimental RFC. It is a very brief I-D, only 8 pages. It updates RFC 
5820 (Extensions to OSPF to Support MANETs) to describe use of the MANET 
interface in single-hop broadcast networks, consistent with the abstract.

The Security Considerations section contains only one sentence, stating 
that there are no new security considerations beyond those expressed in 
RFC 5820. Since this is an update to that RFC, this text makes sense. 
RFC 5820 contains a two-page Security Considerations section. Much of 
the text from that section is taken from RFC 5614 (MANET Extension of 
OSPF). The Security Considerations text in 5820 is well written and is 
intended to address a broader range of MANET contexts that the 
single-hop broadcast networks address here. Thus citing that text in 
this document seems adequate.