Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability-07

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 06:43:49 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document is about how label switching routers (LSRs) can tell their
neighbor not to advertise state about unsupported applications.  This
apparently was not thought of originally, and was introduced in RFC 5561.
 So this document introduces a way to turn off advertisement of earlier
applications (before RFC 5561).

As specified in the security considerations section, this certainly does
not introduce any security issues.  If the neighbor doesn't understand the
TLV , it will continue to advertise unwanted information, and apparently
what was done before this was through configuration.  This document allows
explicit advertisement of disinterest in applications before RFC 5561.
 This is an improvement over configuration..

There's a lot of awkward English here and there, but i assume it will be
fixed by the RFC editor.  For example, in the last line of the abstract
" which

   would have otherwise be advertised over the established LDP session"

"be" should be "been".

Radia