Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Domain Name System Operations (dnsop)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 06:38:52 -0700

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: dnsop WG <[email-masked]> 
Subject: 

The Domain Name System Operations (dnsop) working group in the Operations
and Management Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has
not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-06-14.

Domain Name System Operations (dnsop)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>
  Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop

Charter:

The DNS Operations Working Group will develop guidelines for the
operation of DNS software and services and for the administration
of DNS zones.  These guidelines will provide technical information
relating to the implementation of the DNS protocol by the operators
and administrators of DNS zones. The group will perform the following
activities:

1. Describe practices by which Domain Name System (DNS) software
   may be efficiently and correctly administered, configured, and
   operated on Internet networks. This will include root zone name
   servers, TLD name servers, or any other resolver or server
   functioning as part of the global DNS.  As part of this effort,
   the group will produce documents explaining to the general
   Internet community what processes and mechanisms should be
   employed for the effective management and operation of DNS
   software and services, including root, TLD, and recursive servers.

2. Publish documents concerning DNSSEC operational procedures.

3. Publish documents concerning DNS operational
   procedures in IPv6 and mixed IPv6-IPv4 networks, and provide
   documentation and guidance on DNS-related IPv6 transition and
   coexistence issues.

4. Publish documents  that extend or perform protocol maintenance 
   to the address operational issues with the DNS Protocols.  Act as 
   focal-point for operator discussion and provide  advice to the Ops 
   ADs and other WGs on EDNS0 options,  new RRTYPEs, DNSSEC, 
   record synthesis, or other mechanics of  extending DNS to support 
   other applications. 

5. Serve as a home for drafts that document the problem space 
   around existing or new DNS issues.  The group, with the advice 
   and consent of the responsible AD in coordination with other areas, 
   will then decide whether these  issues belong in DNSOP  under 
   the existing charter and, if not,  will work with the authors and 
   appropriate ADs to determine the proper place for the work to be 
   carried out. 

6. Publish documents that attempt to better define the overlapping
   area among the public DNS root, DNS-like names as used in local
   or restricted naming scopes, and the 'special names' registry
   that IETF manages, perhaps including how they might interact.
   This work must take into consideration issues that are strictly
   beyond the operation of the DNS itself, and the working group
   will consult with IETF liaisons to other organizations as
   appropriate.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit I-D: revised Root Server Requirements.
  Done     - Submit I-D: first version of Servers Sharing IP#.
  Done     - Submit I-D: first version of Performance and Measuring.
  Done     - Submit I-D: revised version of Key Handling.
  Done     - Submit I-D: revised version of Servers Sharing IP#.
  Done     - Submit Root Server Requirements to the IESG for 
consideration as Informational (BCP?).
  Done     - Submit I-D: 2nd revised version of Servers Sharing IP#.
  Done     - Distributing Authoritative Name Servers via Shared Unicast
Addresses to the IESG for Informational
  Done     - Submit Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior to the IESG for
Informational
  Done     - Submit document describing the outstanding problems and
issues with DNS discovery for IPv6 to the IESG for Informational.
  Done     - Submit Operational Guidelines for 'local' zones in the DNS
to IESG. Category to be determined.
  Done     - Submit Operational Considerations and Issues with IPv6 DNS
to the IESG for Informational
  Done     - Submit Common Misbehavior against DNS Queries for IPv6
Addresses to the IESG for Informational
  Done     - Submit DNSSEC Operational Procedures to IESG for BCP
  Done     - Submit Identifying an Authoritative Name Server to IESG for
Informational
  Sep 2007 - Submit I-D: revised version of Considerations for the use of
DNS Reverse Mapping
  Done     - Submit I'm Being Attacked by PRISONER.IANA.ORG! to IESG for
FYI
  Done     - Submit Locally-served DNS Zones to IESG for BCP
  Oct 2007 - Submit DNS Response Size Issues to IESG for Informational
  Dec 2007 - Submit Considerations for the use of DNS Reverse Mapping to
IESG for BCP
  Done     - Submit AS112 Nameserver Operations to IESG for Informational
  Feb 2008 - Submit Initializing a DNS Resolver with Priming Queries to
IESG for BCP

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work