Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-ppsp-survey-08

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 22:42:21 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This document minimally documents and functionally compares eight different
deployed peer-to-peer streaming applications targeting video distribution.
The security considerations section describes how the various protocols are
secured and compares the security guarantees.

I applaud the publication of such documents, since it allows someone new to
the field to quickly get a feel for how the protocols compare and it
includes in references where to get detailed information about each one.

I think it is even very useful for people who are not new to the field,
since it is easy to miss the broader conceptual comparison of various
protocols when getting lost in the weeds of the bits and bytes details. It
is also great to see comparisons. It would be good if there were more such
“survey documents” available in different areas. The document is well
written and – assuming it is accurate (I have no way of knowing) makes a
real contribution to this space.

Radia