Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-netmod-snmp-cfg-06

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 08:24:38 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document describes the use of an alternate schema format, YANG
for describing SNMP configuration. As such the schema presented
defines modules that are equivalent to traditionally described ASN.1
MIBs but without the insertion of sharp sticks in the eyes or
underneath the fingernails.

Since SNMP (wisely) forked ASN.1 some time ago and is not tracking
developments in that spec, this is arguably a more principled
approach. This does not in itself raise security concerns but the new
model takes advantage of the modularity and block structure of YANG to
separate areas of the configuration with similar concerns, for example
similar access control requirements.

It might be worth having a look at the specific access control
requirements specified in the security considerations section.