Subject: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-opsec-bgp-security-05

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:34:19 +0100

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. 
  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security 
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) is the protocol almost exclusively used in 
the Internet to exchange routing information between network domains. 
This document describes measures to protect the BGP sessions itself 
(like TTL, TCP-AO, control plane filtering) and to better control the 
flow of routing information, using prefix filtering and automatization 
of prefix filters, max-prefix filtering, AS path filtering, route flap 
dampening and BGP community scrubbing.

This document is entirely about BGP operational security. As the 
security consideration points out it doesn't talk about existing BGP 
implementations and their vulnerabilities. I think the document is 
covering operational security of BGP well.