Subject: [secdir] Security review of draft-murdock-nato-nid-02

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:49:10 +0000

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

Summary: ready.

The I-D says:

"This document introduces no additional security considerations beyond
those associated with the use and resolution of URNs in general."

For a change, I agree.

It goes on to say:

"Distribution of NATO information in any form is subject to its security
policies. Nonetheless, this specification is for public use and not subject
to any NATO security policies."

Which seems to involve some magical thinking (how do those security
policies magically follow the information?), but this is not a matter I
think we should concern ourselves with.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:21:44 -0400

Thanks for the review, Ben.

>> "Distribution of NATO information in any form is subject to its
>> security policies. Nonetheless, this specification is for public
>> use and not subject to any NATO security policies."
>
> Which seems to involve some magical thinking (how do those
> security policies magically follow the information?)

Similarly, how does copyright magically follow any publication?  To
the extent, I guess, that there's legal recourse, and/or that people
are dissuaded from violating the policies by the threat or the
reminder.

Barry