Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use

From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:04:10 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

  I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

  This draft provides some advice and recommendations on protocol
port use to application and service designers. It has a nice, brief
history of port usage and a nice list of guiding principles to help
conserve port space. It will make a nice BCP. In my opinion it is Ready
For Publication. With that said, I do have a small comment. In section
7.4 the draft says that TLS should be used to protect services that do
not provide their own security directly. It might be worth while adding
mention of DTLS and IPsec. And if the latter is not something that
should be recommended then justification for that stance should be
given.

  regards,

  Dan.