Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:22:48 -0800

Hi,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. 
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security 
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

I only had time to skim through the document but overall, the document 
is well written and appears to appropriately address the security 
concerns.  I suggest that the document is READY for publication.

Just as a "ni" (it's less than a "nit" ;-), should the list of 
prohibited cipher suites become an IANA registry?  Doing so would make 
it easier to authoritatively add to it, and others may be interested in 
referencing the list.

Best regards,
Chris

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:32:06 -0800

On 15 January 2015 at 12:22, Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Just as a "ni" (it's less than a "nit" ;-), should the list of prohibited
> cipher suites become an IANA registry?  Doing so would make it easier to
> authoritatively add to it, and others may be interested in referencing the
> list.

We can't add to the list.  If we did that, we would create the
potential for disagreement between peers about what can generate
"INADEQUATE_SECURITY" and what cannot.

The document is therefore the best place for the list.