Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-08

From: Shawn M Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 21:48:48 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

This proposed BCP draft provides guidance on various ways to improve network performance
over the Internet through Active Queue Management (AQM).  The draft describes various
techniques to avoid network failure due to congestion, congestion itself, and network
latencies.

The security considerations section does exist and discloses that the draft does not impose
any new security considerations beyond what is currently vulnerable to DoS attacks, in fact
AQM may help in mitigating against some of these attacks.  However, the draft explains
that not all DoS attacks can be avoided and suggests that further investigation is required
to find out how to help prevent said attacks.  I believe that these assertions are correct.

General comments:

A well written and thorough document.  Thank you.

Editorial comments:

s/> class of/class of/
s/connection preventing/connections, preventing/
s/devices deploy/devices that deploy/

Shawn.
--