Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: L3VPN Service Model (l3sm)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:38:27 -0800

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Subject: 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg
at ietf.org) by 2015-03-16.

L3VPN Service Model  (l3sm)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Charter:

The IETF and the industry in general is currently specifying a set of
YANG models for network element and protocol configuration. This is an
essential first step, but the end goal is full system configuration that
allows the deployment of services across networks. Services are built
from a combination of network element and protocol configuration, but are
specified to service users in more abstract terms.

The Layer Three Virtual Private Network Service Model (L3SM) working
group is a short-lived WG tasked to create a YANG data model that
describes a L3VPN service (a L3VPN service model) that can be used for
communication between customers and network operators, and to provide
input to automated control and configuration applications.

It needs to be clearly understood that this L3VPN service model is not an
L3VPN configuration model. That is, it does not provide details for
configuring network elements or protocols. Instead it contains the
characteristics of the service, as discussed between the operators and
their customers. A separate process is responsible for mapping this
service model onto the protocols and network elements depending on how
the network operator chooses to realise the service.

The deliverable from this working group will provide information to
evaluate the set of YANG models that have already been developed or are
under development, and will help identify any missing models or details. 
The deliverable can be viewed as driving requirements for protocol
configuration model so that the service parameters can be mapped into
inputs used by the protocol models.

It is hoped that this working group will provide evidence that such
service models can be quickly constructed and agreed upon. If successful,
further service models may be developed in other working groups

The working group should consider draft-l3vpn-service-yang as a starting
point.

Milestones:
  Jan 2016 - L3VPN Service (YANG) Model to the IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard RFC
  Jan 2016 - Close the working group

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work