Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone Numbers (modern)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:46:38 -0700

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications and
Real-Time Area. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg
at ietf.org) by 2015-06-22.

Managing, Ordering, Distributing, Exposing, & Registering telephone
Numbers (modern)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Tom McGarry <[email-masked]>
  Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/modern
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/modern/

Charter:

The MODERN working group will define a set of Internet-based mechanisms
for the purposes of managing and resolving telephone numbers (TNs) in an
IP environment. Devices, applications, and network tools increasingly
need to manage TNs, including requesting and acquiring TN delegations
from authorities. The output of the working group should make
distribution, acquisition, and management of TNs simpler for all entities
involved.

The working group will define an information management framework for the
roles and functions involved in associating information with one or more
TNs in an IP environment.  The working group will also identify protocol
mechanisms to support the interactions between the functions defined by
the framework. This includes either recommending or defining protocol
mechanisms for acquiring, associating and resolving TNs, with a
preference for use of existing protocol mechanisms. TNs may either be
managed in a hierarchical tree, or in a distributed registry. The
protocol mechanism for acquiring TNs will provide an enrollment process
for the entities that use and manage TNs. 

The protocol mechanism for resolving TNs will allow entities such as
service providers, devices, and applications to access data related to
TNs. Maintaining reliability, real-time application performance, and
security and privacy for both the data and the protocol interactions are
primary considerations. The working group will take into consideration
existing IETF work including STIR, ENUM, SPEERMINT, DRINKS and SCIM.

The work of this group will focus on TNs, as defined in RFC3966, and
blocks of TNs, that are used to initiate communication with another user
of a service. There is an expectation that aspects of the architecture
and protocols defined by the working group will be reusable for other
user-focused identifiers. Any such extensions or reuse of MODERN
mechanisms are out of scope for the MODERN working group. Solutions and
mechanisms created by the working group will be flexible enough to
accommodate different policies for TN assignment and management, for
example those established by different regulatory agencies.

The working group will deliver the following:

- An architecture overview, including high level requirements and
security/privacy considerations

- A description of the enrollment processes for existing and new TNs
including any modifications to metadata related to those TNs

- A description of protocol mechanisms for accessing contact information
associated with enrollments

- A description of mechanisms for resolving information related to TNs

Milestones:

TBD

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work