Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-karp-isis-analysis-04

From: "Takeshi Takahashi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 13:09:44 +0900

Hello,

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.
Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just like any
other last call comments.

This document is ready for publication.

[summary of this document]

This document analyzes the threats of IS-IS protocol.
It first summarizes the current state of the IS-IS protocol, with special
focus on key usage and key management (in section 2), and then analyzes the
security gaps in order to identify security requirements (in section 3).

In the summary of the current state of the protocol (section 2), it already
mentioned the threats of the protocol, i.e. replay attack and spoofing
attack, for each of the three message types of IS-IS protocol.
Section 3 summarizes, organizes, and develops the threat analysis and
provides candidate direction to cope with the threats by listing
requirements and by listing related I-D works.

[minor comment]

As mentioned in the security consideration section, this draft does not
modify any of the existing protocols.
It thus does not produce any new security concerns.
So, the security consideration section seems adequate.
The authors could consider citing RFC 5310 in Section 5, since I feel like
that this draft does not discuss all the content of the consideration
section of the rfc (it does discuss major parts of the section, though).

Cheers,
Take