Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-lwig-cellular-04

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 19:03:08 -0700

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

This document is about using the CoAP protocol (constrained application
protocol) for sensors, and focuses on saving power.

As it correctly points out, there really are no security issues with what
is discussed in this draft.  If they wanted, they could say that not
constantly pinging in order for the network to find you not only saves
power (if all you want to do is send messages when you want to rather than
being reachable for receiving messages), but also could be seen as a
privacy enhancement.

Typo, first line of page 5.  "For economical reasons..." should probably be
"For economic reasons"

Radia

---

From: Ari Keränen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:41:32 +0300

Dear Radia,

Thank you for your review comments! We'll take these into account when 
we do the next round of updates to the draft.

Cheers,
Ari

On 15/08/15 05:03, Radia Perlman wrote:
> As it correctly points out, there really are no security issues with
> what is discussed in this draft.  If they wanted, they could say that
> not constantly pinging in order for the network to find you not only
> saves power (if all you want to do is send messages when you want to
> rather than being reachable for receiving messages), but also could be
> seen as a privacy enhancement.
>
> Typo, first line of page 5.  "For economical reasons..." should probably
> be "For economic reasons"
>
> Radia