Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-cdni-media-type-04

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 12:06:24 +0300

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document allocates new media type for genera purpose content
delivery network interconnection protocol. It is general media type
which can be used to transmit whatever between CDNs. The actual format
of the content depends on the mandatory ptype parameter.

This document does not include separate Security considerations
section, but there is security considerations part of the section 2.1
which describes the media type itself.

As this is general purpose media type which can be used to transfer
anything, the security considerations section is quite vague, just
pointing out that the individual CDNI interface specifications need to
specify the security considerations for the ptypes used. Perhaps the
security considerations section could mention that as this is generic
media type, it can easily used to transfer data out from the CDN
network without anybody noticing as firewalls will most likely just
see application/cdni, and do not look at the ptype itself.

Nits:

The ptype parameter defines ptype-char as follows:

        ptype-char = %x21 / %23-3A / %x3C / %x3E-7E

I think there is 'x' missing from the "%23-3A", i.e. it should be
"%x23-3A".

I think this document is ready with nits. 
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Kevin Ma J <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 14:33:05 +0000

Hi Tero,

  Thank you for the review.

  I have fixed the ABNF.

  I have also added the following text to the security considerations:

    The application/cdni media type is a generic media type to be used	
    by multiple CDNI interfaces for transporting different types of	
    control and logging information.  Proper validation of message	
    data requires parsing and understanding the ptype parameter and	
    the associated data encoding.  Failure to properly validate	
    payloads may allow data extrusion under the auspices of the	
    application/cdni media type.

thanx!

--  Kevin J. Ma

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tero Kivinen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:06 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; draft-ietf-cdni-media-
> [email-masked]
> Subject: Secdir review of draft-ietf-cdni-media-type-04
>