Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-httpbis-legally-restricted-status-04.txt

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:37:08 +0200

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This documents adds new status code 451 which says that document is
unavailable for legal reasons. It correctly points out that some
entities blocking access might not want to tell that they are blocking
this, so clients cannot rely on this, and also points out that users
might be able to bypass the restrictions using VPNs or TORs.

Summary: Ready.

I just wonder why did the example singled out "the People's Front of
Judea", and did not include "the Judean People's Front", "the Judean
Popular People's Front", "the Campaign for a Free Galilee", and "the
Popular Front of Judea".... :-)
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:53:31 +0200

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 2:37 PM, Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Because the only people we hate more than the Romans, are the fucking Judean People's Front.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:43:56 -0500 (EST)

> Because the only people we hate more than the Romans, are the fucking Judean People's Front.

Please people! We are _all_ individuals!

Paul

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:45:24 +0200

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 5:43 PM, Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I’m not.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:53:26 -0500

Although I assume it is supposed to be a joke, this is not an April 1st draft.

I think it is an extremely bad idea to use, as an example, a real
geographic region where people are dying due to conflict and to use an
organization name which sounds like it could plausibly exist in that
area. I do not consider the deaths in this region to be funny. See RFC
3797 for two examples of more clearly fictitious nation state names.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Yoav Nir <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> secdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir
> wiki: http://tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/wiki/SecDirReview

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:02:00 -0800

> 3797 for two examples of more clearly fictitious nation state names.

While I think the Life of Brian rises to the level of basic cultural
literacy, it's probably all the way around if it is simply a generic
example.