Subject: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-pim-explicit-rpf-vector-07

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:51:49 -0500

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The Security Consideration section points to the security consideration
of the ietf-pim-rfc4601bis document, which seems reasonable as this
document
adds new attribute to the existing PIM Join message.

The document then states the following:
"In order to minimize the risk of a malicious node injecting an incorrect
Explicit RPF vector stack, it should be used within a single management
domain."

You might want to elaborate a bit on how does a single management domain
help minimize this risk.

Also, the security consideration section in ietf-pim-rfc4601bis document
discusses the impact of a forget Join message and its implication on the
multicast traffic. You might want to add some text to explain if this new
attribute, defined in this document, changes the implication of a forged
Join message or not; if it does, you might want to explain how.

Regards,
 Rifaat