Subject: [secdir] secdir review for draft-holmberg-dispatch-rfc7315-updates-07

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 01:39:38 +0000

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

This document updates RFC 7315 by changing restrictions on where
certain SIP private header extensions may be included, in order to
address new 3GPP use cases.

This document is Ready with nits.

I know little about SIP or 3GPP. I do know security, though.

After reading this document and also reading the Security
Considerations section of RFC 7315, I believe that this document
is OK from a security standpoint. Few new security issues are
raised by this document and those that arise are properly
documented in the Security Considerations section of this
document. However, there are a few typos in the Security
Considerations section.

* The second sentence of the Security Considerations section
   ends with "the security considerations and assumptions (e.g.
   regarding only sending information to trusted entities) also
   to those messages." This clause is missing a verb. Maybe the
   word "apply" should appear before "to those messages". Also,
   greater clarity could be achieved by changing "the security
   considerations and assumptions" in that sentence fragment to
   "the security considerations and assumptions described in
   RFC 7315".

* In the third sentence of the Security Considerations section,
   "disallow" should be "disallows" and "message" should be
   "messages".

* In the fourth sentence of the Security Considerations section,
   "if a header field occur" should be "if a header field occurs".

With these minor changes, I think the document will be ready
to go from a security standpoint.

Thanks,

Steve

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:31:28 +0000

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments! Please see inline.

>   word "apply" should appear before "to those messages². Also,

I¹ll fix as suggested:

NEW:

"This specification allows some header fields to be
   present in messages where they were previously not
allowed, and the security considerations and assumptions
described in [RFC7315] (e.g. regarding only sending
   information to trusted entities) also apply to those
messages."

>   "disallow" should be "disallows" and "message" should be

I¹ll fix as suggested.

>   "if a header field occur" should be "if a header field occurs".

I¹ll fix as suggested.

>to go from a security standpoint.

Thanks!

Regards,

Christer