Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-jose-cfrg-curves-05

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:41:56 -0800

[Note:  I was assigned draft-ietf-jose-cfrg-curves-03 but have
reviewed the most recent revision]

This document defines how to use the Diffie-Hellman algorithms
"X25519" and "X448" as well as the signature algorithms "Ed25519" and
"Ed448" from the IRTF CFRG elliptic curves work in JOSE, and in doing
so introduces new a key type and subtypes, and specifies registry
additions.  Section 3 specifies the application of the algorithms
within the JOSE framework.

Summary: ready, with very minor nits on formal publication
requirements

I do not have the cryptographic chops to perform a cryptographic
review of this draft.  The algorithms being added to JOSE in this
document are specified in a CFRG deliverable
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa/), which is
currently under development (that is to say, mature but not
completed).  I am satisfied that this document pays heed to the
security considerations in the CFRG document.

The document appears complete and ready with respect to the needs
of someone implementing this specification.

Nits:

normative reference to an informational RFC (7748)
normative reference to an informational draft (draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa)
later version of draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa has been published
missing reference: "RFC-THIS" in IANA Considerations section

Melinda