Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (ipwave)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:07:31 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Internet Area. The IESG has not
made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2016-10-10.

IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (ipwave)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
  Archive:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/its/current/maillist.html

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipwave/

Automobiles and vehicles of all types are increasingly connected to
the Internet.  Comfort-enhancing entertainment applications, road
safety applications using bidirectional data flows, and connected
automated driving are but a few new features expected in automobiles
to hit the roads from now to year 2020.

Today, there are several deployed Vehicle-to-Internet technologies
(V2Internet) that make use of embedded Internet modules, or an
occupant's cellular smartphone: mirrorlink, carplay, android
auto. Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I, not to be mistaken with
V2Internet) Communications are used for wireless exchange of critical
safety and operational data between vehicles and roadway
infrastructure, intended primarily to avoid motor vehicle
crashes. Similarly, Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications (V2V) are used
for short-range communications between vehicles to exchange vehicle
information such as vehicle speed, headng and braking status. However,
V2V and V2I communications are still in the process of being
developed.

Some forms of vehicle and infrastructure communications will use IP
and others will not.  Thus, multiple applications need to share one
data link, including non-IP-based protocols sharing the data link with
IP-based protocols. This group will work on V2V and V2I use-cases
where IP is well-suited as a networking technology and will develop an
IPv6 based solution to establish direct and secure connectivity
between a vehicle and other vehicles or stationary systems.

V2V and V2I communications may involve various kinds of link layers:
802.11-OCB (Outside the Context of a Basic Service Set, also called
802.11p), 802.15.4 with 6lowpan, 802.11ad, VLC (Visible Light
Communications), IrDA, LTE-D, LP-WAN.  One of the most used link
layers for vehicular networks is IEEE 802.11-OCB, as a basis for
Dedicated short-range communications (DSRC). Several of these
link-layers already provide support for IPv6. However, IPv6 on
802.11-OCB is yet to be defined.

This group's primary deliverable (and the only Standards track item)
will be a document that will specify the mechanisms for transmission
of IPv6 datagrams over IEEE 802.11p OCB mode. The group will work on
an informational document that will explain the state of the art in
the field and describe the use cases that will use IPv6 in order to
focus the work of the group. The group will also work on informational
document that describes the problem statement and the associated
security and privacy considerations. The working group will decide at
a future point whether these informational documents need to be
published separately as RFCs or if they maybe combined.

The group will try to reuse relevant technologies for Internet of
Things (IoT) and infrastructure mobility that have been developed in
other IETF and IRTF groups. The WG will pay particular attention to
the privacy characteristics of solution it develops in order to
minimize unwanted tracking opportunities. The group will closely
coordinate with IEEE 802.11. The work produced by this group may be of
interest to other SDOs such as ISO/TC204, ETSI TC ITS, 3GPP, and
NHTSA. No formal co-ordination is anticipated with these groups at
this point but work done in these SDOs may end up becoming relevant to
the WG deliverables in the future.

Milestones:
  Oct 2016 - Draft for "IPv6 over 802.11-OCB" adopted by WG
  Dec 2016 - Draft for "ITS General Problem Area" adopted by WG
  Mar 2017 - Draft for "Problem Statement" adopted by WG
  May 2017 - Submit "IPv6 over 802.11-OCB" to IESG
  Oct 2017 - Submit "ITS General Problem Area" to IESG
  May 2018 - Submit "Problem Statement" to IESG

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work