Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: L2VPN Service Model (l2sm)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:36:24 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Operations and Management Area.
The IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
2016-10-24.

L2VPN Service Model (l2sm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2sm
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/l2sm/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-l2sm/

The IETF and the industry in general is currently specifying a set of
YANG models for network element and protocol configuration. This is an
essential first step, but the end goal is full system configuration that
enable service agility to speed service creation and delivery and allows
the deployment of innovative new services across networks. Services are
built from a combination of network element and protocol configuration,
but are specified to service users in more abstract terms.

The Layer Two Virtual Private Network Service Model (L2SM) working group
is a short-lived WG tasked to create a YANG data model that describes a
L2VPN service (a L2VPN service model) that can be used for communication
between customers and network operators, and to provide input to
automated control and configuration applications. The working group will
attempt to derive a single data model that includes support for
point-to-point Virtual Private Wire Services (VPWS), multipoint Virtual
Private LAN services (VPLS) that use Pseudowires signaled using the Label
Distribution Protocol (LDP) and the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) as
described in RFC4761 and RFC6624, and Ethernet VPNs in RFC 7432.

It needs to be clearly understood that this L2VPN service model is not an
L2VPN configuration model. That is, it does not provide details for
configuring network elements or protocols (that work is expected to be
carried out in other protocol-specific working groups). Instead, the
L2VPN service model contains the characteristics of the service as
discussed between the operators and their customers. A separate process
is responsible for mapping this service model onto the protocols and
network elements depending on how the network operator chooses to realise
the service.

The deliverable from this working group will provide information to
evaluate the set of YANG models that have already been developed or are
under development, and will help identify any missing models or details.
The deliverable can be viewed as driving requirements for protocol
configuration model so that the service parameters can be mapped into
inputs used by the protocol models.

The working group will learn from the experience of the L3SM working
group and it is expected that the L2SM data model will have similar
structure to the L3SM data model.

The working group should consider draft-wen-l2sm-l2vpn-service-model as a
starting point.

The working group will coordinate with other working groups responsible
for L2VPN protocol work (most notably with BESS and PALS) and with the
MEF.

Milestones:
  Dec 2016 - Adopt WG draft for data model
  Oct 2017 - Request publication of data model as Standards Track RFC
  Dec 2017 - Close working group

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work