Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions (cbor)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 09:53:19 -0800

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area.
The IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
2016-12-12.

Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions (cbor)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cbor
  Archive:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cbor/current/maillist.html

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-cbor/

Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR, RFC 7049) extends the
JavaScript Object Notation (JSON, RFC 7159) data model to include binary
data and an extensibility model, using a binary representation format
that is easy to parse correctly. It has been picked up by a number of
IETF efforts (e.g., CORE, ANIMA GRASP) as a message format.

The CBOR working group will update RFC 7049 to fix verified errata.
Security issues and clarifications may be addressed, but changes to the
document will ensure backward compatibility for popular deployed
codebases. The resulting document will be targeted at becoming an
Internet Standard.

Similar to the way ABNF (RFC 5234/7405) can be used to describe the set
of valid messages in a text representation, it would be useful if
protocol specifications could use a description format for the data in
CBOR-encoded messages. The CBOR data definition language (CDDL, based on
draft-greevenbosch-appsawg-cbor-cddl) is a proposal for such a
description technique that has already been used in CORE, ANIMA, CDNI,
and efforts outside the IETF. The CBOR WG will complete the development
of this specification by creating an Informational or Standards Track
RFC.

In parallel to the work on CDDL, the WG will examine the CBOR extension
for tagging of Typed Arrays (based on draft-jroatch-cbor-tags) and the
CBOR extension for tagging of Object Identifiers and UUIDs (based on
draft-bormann-cbor-tags-oid) that use CBOR's extensibility mechanisms to
provide additional data types as used in certain applications. Where
these proposals are deemed useful and do not require significant new
development, the CBOR WG will complete these specifications as well. The
WG will recharter before working on any further CBOR extensions.

Milestones:

TBD

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work