Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: DNS Over HTTPS (doh)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 08:44:53 -0700

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2017-09-25.

DNS Over HTTPS (doh)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/doh
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/doh/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/doh/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-doh/

This working group will standardize encodings for DNS queries and responses
that are suitable for use in HTTPS. This will enable the domain name system
to function over certain paths where existing DNS methods (UDP, TLS, and DTLS)
experience problems.  The working group will re-use HTTPS methods, error
codes, and other semantics to the greatest extent possible.  The use of HTTPS
provides integrity and confidentiality, and it also allows the transport to
interoperate with common HTTPS infrastructure and policy.

The working group will coordinate with the DNSOP and INTAREA working groups
for input on DNS-over-HTTPS's impact on DNS operations and DNS semantics,
respectvely. In particular, DNSOP will be consulted for guidance on the
operational impacts that result from traditional host behaviors (i.e.,
stub-resolver to recursive-resolver interaction) being replaced with the
specified mechanism.

Specification of how the DNS data may be used for new use cases, and
the discovery of the DOH servers, are out of scope for the working group.

The working group will use draft-hoffman-dispatch-dns-over-https as input.

Milestones:

  Apr 2018 - Submit specification for performing DNS queries over HTTPS to
  the IESG for publication as PS

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work