Subject: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-07

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 13:04:15 -0800

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Has Issues

I reviewed this document as part of the Security Directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the Security Area
Directors.  Document authors, document editors, and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other IETF Last Call comments.

Document: draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-05
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2018-01-26
IETF LC End Date: 2018-02-02
IESG Telechat date: Unknown

Summary: Has (Minor) Issues

Major Concerns

The tests cover encrypted and unencrypted communications, but nothing
is said about the key management.  I recognize that the tests will be
conducted in the lab, but it would be desirable for the key management
to exercise the same interfaces that will be used in a production
setting.

Minor Concerns

Section 1: Please update the first paragraph to reference RFC 8174
in addition to RFC 2119, as follows: 

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
   14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
   capitals, as shown here.

RFC 2119 is missing from the normative references.  If you accept the
above suggestion, RFC 8174 needs to be added as well.

Nits

The term "SDN Controller" is not defined in the companion terminology
document, and a definition does not emerge in this document until
Section 2, where it says:

   ... the SDN controller is a function that manages and
   controls Network Devices. ...

I recognize that this is very basic, but it also seems like very
important information for the Introduction.

Similarly, please explain the difference between a "cluster of
homogeneous controllers" and a "federation of controllers."

The indenting in the document shifts in Section 5.  Some lines
other than Section headers are flush with the left margin.

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 21:55:00 +0000

Hi Russ,

> to exercise the same interfaces that will be used in a production

Encrypted connections with network devices are mentioned in general,
primarily in Section 4.4, as a possibility that may be tested:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-07#section-4.4

It will help if we can iterate on text to satisfy your comment,
such as adding:
4.4. Connection Setup

   There may be controller implementations that support unencrypted and
   encrypted network connections with Network Devices. Further, the
   controller may have backward compatibility with Network Devices
   running older versions of southbound protocols. It may be useful to
   measure the controller performance with one or more applicable
   connection setup methods defined below.
ADD
For cases with encrypted communications between the controller and the 
switch, key management and key exchange MUST take place before
any performance or benchmark measurements.

just trying to clarify what you want to see added,
Al
doc shepherd

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:04 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-
> [email-masked]
> Subject: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-
> benchmark-meth-07
> 
> Reviewer: Russ Housley

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 07:26:09 +0000

Hi Russ,
Thank you for your comments.
I believe adding Al text helps to address your major concerns. 
Regarding your minor concerns and Nits feedback, we will address and submit the revised drafts.
Best Regards,
Bhuvan

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 05:58 AM, "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)"  wrote:
Hi Russ,

Major Concerns

Encrypted connections with network devices are mentioned in general,
primarily in Section 4.4, as a possibility that may be tested:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-07#section-4.4 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-benchmark-meth-07#section-4.4)

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:04 PM
To: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])
Cc: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]); [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]); draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-
[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])
Subject: Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-bmwg-sdn-controller-
benchmark-meth-07

Reviewer: Russ Housley

Major Concerns

Minor Concerns

Nits

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg (https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg)

DISCLAIMER: Privileged and/or Confidential information may be
contained in this message. If you are not the addressee of this message,
you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such
event,you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail.
It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the
official business of the company are neither given nor endorsed by the
company.