Subject: [secdir] Assignments

From: Tero Kivinen via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 03:23:38 -0700

Review instructions and related resources are at:
http://tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/wiki/SecDirReview

For telechat 2019-05-02

Reviewer               LC end     Draft
Shaun Cooley           2019-03-13 draft-ietf-dots-data-channel-28
Alexey Melnikov        2019-04-11 draft-ietf-sidrops-lta-use-cases-05
Matthew Miller         2019-04-08 draft-ietf-core-multipart-ct-03

Last calls:

Reviewer               LC end     Draft
Derek Atkins           2019-03-03 draft-ietf-netmod-module-tags-07
Nancy Cam-Winget       2019-02-15 draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-11
Daniel Franke          2019-03-18 draft-ietf-sidrops-https-tal-07
Daniel Gillmor         2018-03-19 draft-gutmann-scep-13
Charlie Kaufman        2019-03-14 draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-31
Catherine Meadows      2019-04-12 draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-34
Russ Mundy             2017-09-14 draft-spinosa-urn-lex-13
Magnus Nystrom         2019-04-10 draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-08
Tim Polk               2019-04-17 draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-extensions-24
Vincent Roca          R2019-02-13 draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework-09
Stefan Santesson       2019-05-08 draft-ietf-lamps-rfc6844bis-05
Yaron Sheffer          2019-05-07 draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel-04
Rifaat Shekh-Yusef     2019-05-03 draft-ietf-pce-applicability-actn-11
David Waltermire       2019-02-15 draft-ietf-rtcweb-ip-handling-11
Klaas Wierenga         2019-02-26 draft-ietf-mpls-sr-over-ip-04
Taylor Yu              2019-02-15 draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch-18
Taylor Yu              2018-11-28 draft-ietf-alto-cost-calendar-11

Early review requests:

Reviewer               Due        Draft
Daniel Franke          2018-01-31 draft-ietf-intarea-provisioning-domains-00
Kathleen Moriarty      2019-04-08 draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-00

Next in the reviewer rotation:

  Valery Smyslov
  Robert Sparks
  Takeshi Takahashi
  Tina Tsou
  Sean Turner
  Carl Wallace
  David Waltermire
  Samuel Weiler
  Brian Weis
  Klaas Wierenga

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 23:35:36 -0400

Ooops. Just noticed that these have not been going into my action items
folder and I missed one. My filter must have been relying on a feature that
changed.

Not really a tools team issue or critical. But it is a systemic problem
with using SMTP mail for workflow.

We have traditionally considered the killer app for S/MIME to be
confidentiality. What if it was authentication and access control? Signing
meeting requests, calendar entries, task items allows people to add things
to my work queue.

Trying to retrofit might be a case of trying to balance too many plates on
the stack though.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 6:23 AM Tero Kivinen via Datatracker <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Magnus Nystrom         2019-04-10
> draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-08
> Tim Polk               2019-04-17
> draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-extensions-24
> Vincent Roca          R2019-02-13
> draft-ietf-perc-private-media-framework-09
> Daniel Franke          2018-01-31
> draft-ietf-intarea-provisioning-domains-00
> _______________________________________________
> secdir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir
> wiki: http://tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/wiki/SecDirReview
>

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:13:05 +0300

Phillip Hallam-Baker writes:
> Ooops. Just noticed that these have not been going into my action items folder
> and I missed one. My filter must have been relying on a feature that changed.

I switched to use emails sent from datatracker two and half years ago,
i.e., end of 2016. Reply to, To and Subject should have been same.

>From address field did change from [email-masked] to [email-masked]
in the beginning of March, because of some datatracker changes, so
that is the one that most likely caused the issue. Anyways it is
always better to use something else than From address for filtering as
the secdir secretary might change :-)

The reply-to address of [email-masked] should stay same. 

> Not really a tools team issue or critical. But it is a systemic
> problem with using SMTP mail for workflow.

You can always see your review requests also in the datatracker by
going to the

https://datatracker.ietf.org/accounts/review/

page, and also the datatracker should send you automatic email when
one is assigned to you in addition to my summary...

One good thing about mail workflow is that I do get all the
notifications in the same place, I hate the cases where I need to go
and check through few dozen different web pages to see if there is
anything new there for me to do...

> meeting requests, calendar entries, task items allows people to add things to
> my work queue.

That would be nice, but the problem again is that you want to
configure your systems to act on certain requests differently. Whether
it is S/MIME authenticated does not really help there, you still do
not want to accept random S/MIME authenticated request to add new
entries to your calendar, so you are still left with whitelist of
people who can add items to your calendar, and when things change then
those will break... 

> Trying to retrofit might be a case of trying to balance too many
> plates on the stack though.

Adding generic code to the datatracker that signs emails with S/MIME,
would actually be quite good enhancement, and I did make a new ticket
#2716 about this...
-- 
[email-masked]