Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Reliable and Available Wireless (raw)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 12:26:11 -0800

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Routing Area. The IESG has not made
any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the
IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2020-02-05.

Reliable and Available Wireless (raw)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
  Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/raw
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/raw/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/raw/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-raw/

Reliable and Available Wireless (RAW) provides for high reliability and
availability for IP connectivity over a wireless medium. The wireless medium
presents significant challenges to achieve deterministic properties such as
low packet error rate, bounded consecutive losses, and bounded latency. RAW
extends the DetNet Working Group concepts to provide for high reliability and
availability for an IP network utilizing scheduled wireless segments and
other media, e.g., frequency/time-sharing physical media resources with
stochastic traffic: IEEE Std. 802.15.4 timeslotted channel hopping (TSCH),
3GPP 5G ultra-reliable low latency communications (URLLC), IEEE 802.11ax/be,
and L-band Digital Aeronautical Communications System (LDACS), etc. Similar
to DetNet, RAW will stay abstract to the radio layers underneath, addressing
the Layer 3 aspects in support of applications requiring high reliability and
availability.

While DetNet solutions apply to both wireless and wired, there has been
recent industry interest for wireless applications which were not initially
included in the DetNet use cases. One critical application is Aeronautical
Data Communications. The Aeronautical standards work on a physical layer and
data link layer for data communications is reaching maturity and there is
significant interest in IP connectivity applications.

In the interests of providing timely solutions for these newly identified
industry applications, RAW’s focus will be on identifying use cases and
requirements for these new applications. RAW will solicit input on deployment
plans, requirements, and operational practices (including security and
privacy aspects) for these newer industrial applications. RAW’s primary focus
is on identifying areas where the DetNet adaptation to wireless networks and
other IETF tools may require additional supporting mechanisms.

The RAW Working Group will also examine the applicability of other existing
IETF work, e.g., MANET's dynamic link exchange protocol (DLEP). The RAW
Working Group will provide input to the DetNet Working Group, MANET Working
Group, and other IETF Working Groups, and cooperate in reviewing solutions to
RAW’s identified deployment problems. RAW is not chartered to work on a
solution. If solution work is needed, it will be coordinated on where the
work will be done. If RAW is chosen for the solution work, the Working Group
will recharter.

The RAW Working Group is planned to be a short timeframe (12-18 months)
Working Group to quickly address these newer industry applications. The
initial milestones will be published as Informational documents: Use Cases,
Requirements, Architecture/Framework Aspects for a Wireless Network, and an
Evaluation of Existing IETF Tools and Gap Analysis. Additional documents may
be published or exist on a git repository, the publication format will be
agreed by the Working Group at the time the document is adopted by the group.
The Use Case document may consist of one or more documents to allow
users/operators the opportunity to provide comprehensive deployment plans for
these new (to IETF) technologies, e.g., the Aeronautical Data Communication
applications. The group will closely coordinate with the DetNet and MANET
Working Groups. The work produced by this group may be of interest to other
SDOs, 3GPP, IEEE, and the Aeronautical industry.

Milestones:

TBD

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work