Subject: [secdir] SECDIR Re-Reveiw of draft-ietf-hip-dex

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:30:54 -0400

Hi,

I have checked the current -20 version of this draft against my previous
review below. All my comments are resolved except that I think the plural
of SHOULD is SHOULDs, not SHOULDS, and there are still occurrences of
SHOULDS in Appendix B of the draft.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:18 PM
Subject: SECDIR Reveiw of draft-ietf-hip-dex-11
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, secdir <[email-masked]>

I have reviewed this document as (a very late) part of the security
directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being
processed by the IESG.

The summary of the review is Ready with Nits.

Sorry to get this review in so late but, while approved by the IESG,
the draft is still in revised draft needed state so this may do some
good. On the security front, although the draft is pretty complex and
I am not that familiar with HIP, I did not see any significant
security issues that were not already called out in the draft. So I
concentrated on possible editorial issues.

Editorial:

Section 1.1, 3rd paragraph, page 5. Delete "However," a the beginning
of the 2nd sentence. It doesn't make sense.

Section 2.3, Definitions should be in alphabetic order.

Section 2.3: It seems to me that people who are puzzled about what
something means are most likely to be puzzled by the acronym. So I
would put the acronym first, where there is an acronym or acronym-like
term to use, then the expansion in parenthesis or in the body of the
definition. This done for a couple of entries like CMAC and CKDF but
most are the other way.

Section 3 last paragraph and Section 12.10 5th bullet: "to use" -> "use of"

I think OGA  and KEYMAT should be in the Definitions list and KEYMAT,
which I assume just is short for "keying material", should be expanded
on first use in Section 6.3. Alternatively, you could just replace all
occurrences of KEYMAT with "Keying Material".

Section 5.3.2, page 23. The first sentence of the first paragraph
starting on that page has problems. Maybe "chose" should be "choses"
but I'm not sure:
  "The DH_GROUP_LIST parameter contains the Responder's order of
   preference based on which the Responder chose the ECDH key contained
   in the HOST_ID parameter (see below)."

Appendix A, first sentence, "allows to identify" -> "allows identifying"

Appendix B, "IEDG" -> "IESG"

Appendix B, around the middle of page 51, right after the line
beginning with "Section 6," there are three line with a blank line
before and after. I found this confusing at first. I suggest those
three line also be indented.

Appendix B, page 52, "SHOUDS" -> "SHOUDs"

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 06:35:38 +0000

Thank you Don for reviewing the latest revision against your previous review.

Regards

-éric

From: iesg <[email-masked]> on behalf of Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 6 July 2020 at 04:31
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, secdir <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: SECDIR Re-Reveiw of draft-ietf-hip-dex

Hi,

I have checked the current -20 version of this draft against my previous review below. All my comments are resolved except that I think the plural of SHOULD is SHOULDs, not SHOULDS, and there are still occurrences of SHOULDS in Appendix B of the draft.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:18 PM
Subject: SECDIR Reveiw of draft-ietf-hip-dex-11
To: <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, secdir <[email-masked]<mailto:secdir@ietf..org>>

Editorial:

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 17:56:03 -0400

With Miika's help, I have fixed this in -21.

Thank you.

On 7/5/20 10:30 PM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have checked the current -20 version of this draft against my 
> previous review below. All my comments are resolved except that I 
> think the plural of SHOULD is SHOULDs, not SHOULDS, and there are 
> still occurrences of SHOULDS in Appendix B of the draft.
>
> Thanks,
> Donald
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>
> From: *Donald Eastlake* <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Cc: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>, secdir <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
Standard Robert Moskowitz
Owner
HTT Consulting
C:248-219-2059
F:248-968-2824
E:[email-masked]

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who 
gets the credit