Subject: [Secdispatch] OpenPGP Pubkey Distribution Draft

From: "R. Miles McCain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 12:14:24 -0500

Hello,

Over the past several months, I have worked with Micah Lee and Nat Welch to
create an Internet-Draft that formalizes the OpenPGP public key
distribution system in use by The Intercept, First Look Media, and the
Freedom of the Press Foundation.

Currently, keeping individuals' OpenPGP public keys in sync within
organizations is difficult and error-prone. Our more streamlined key
distribution system (which leverages, not replaces, existing OpenPGP
infrastructure such as keyservers) has worked extremely well within our own
organization. We hope that formalizing our system as an IETF RFC will
improve the OpenPGP ecosystem and make OpenPGP a more practical solution
for email encryption in large organizations.

After emailing the Chairs and communicating with Richard Barnes late last
summer, he suggested that the best path forward for our Draft is either a
small working group or sponsorship by an Area Director chair, and that we
should announce our draft to SecDispatch. Our Internet-Draft is available
at <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mccain-keylist/>.

We would appreciate any and all feedback; both comments on the
Internet-Draft itself as well as on how it might be dispatched are
extremely helpful.

Thank you,
Miles McCain, Micah Lee, and Nat Welch