Subject: [Secdispatch] Fwd: descriptive censorship work: draft-hall-censorship-tech

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 05:27:52 -0400

as an FYI, thanks all!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:45 AM
Subject: descriptive censorship work: draft-hall-censorship-tech
To: <[email-masked]>, Stan Adams <[email-masked]>, Nick Feamster <
[email-masked]>

(Bcc'ing SECDISPATCH and SAAG as an FYI; thread on PEARG)

Hello, apologies for cross-posting.

At IETF 91 in 2014 we presented some very early work before SAAG that
describes how global censors use protocols to censor data flows (block,
impair, modify, etc.). After some editing in subsequent years based on
superb feedback from SAAG folks (Stephane B., Andrew M., thank you!) we had
tentative AD sponsorship and some thoughts that this was better on the IETF
side of the house rather than in a RG.

We've started to work on it again* and since the original draft we now have
SECDISPATCH to help "the misfit toys of security" find a home in terms of
IETF process... I very briefly described this work yesterday in SECDISPATCH
and Chris Wood, the new PEARG co-chair, suggested that PEARG would be a
good place for this work since part of what they would like to do in that
RG is document certain privacy-implicating things in the real world.

We don't really have a preference where this ends up -- there's even a case
to be made that given the dynamic nature of censorship that this will
necessarily always be a work in progress. We have heard people find it
useful and PEARG seems as good as anywhere, and obviously the process to
get to an RG RFC would help it get better (at least that is my impression!).

Here is the current version of the draft and the repo we're using to track
issues and version the doc:

draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hall-censorship-tech-07
repo: https://github.com/josephlhall/rfc-censorship-tech

Would love to hear if this is something people think PEARG would like to
work on and we have some ideas about additional documents in a series like
this (e.g., having some real-world descriptive reference on research and
practice in terms of traffic analysis could be really useful for IETF
folks, I suspect.)

Cheers! --Joe Hall

(copying two co-authors, Stan from CDT and Nick from Princeton)

* IASA2 has been a big focus of my own for the last two years.

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

Don't miss out! CDT's Tech Prom is April 10, 2019, at The
Anthem. Please join us: https://cdt.org/annual-dinner/

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

Don't miss out! CDT's Tech Prom is April 10, 2019, at The
Anthem. Please join us: https://cdt.org/annual-dinner/