Subject: [Secdispatch] Requesting agenda time for draft-knodel-e2ee-definition

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:16:15 -0400

Hi everyone,

I requested time on the agenda to discuss 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-knodel-e2ee-definition, a 
relatively new document that my co-authors and I wrote earlier this 
year. It is a three-part definition for end-to-end encryption (formal, 
features, user expectations).

Feedback on the MLS working group list has been encouraging. 
Additionally I presented at the last MLS interim and it was suggested 
that secdispatch provide feedback on the best place for this draft, if 
not MLS.

I will have -02 in the datatracker before the 111 meeting that brings in 
more nuance to the "end" problem as it relates to identity, and a nice 
pointer to a game-based definition.

I'm hoping to use 10 minutes to present and get feedback on which WG is 
best to continue work on the draft.

Thanks!

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:04:25 +0200

Hi Mallory,

I am hoping that you don't actually mean to create a new definition of a 
term that has been around at least since 1984.  I *think* what you mean 
to do is to establish an aspirational model that leads to a state in 
which certain conditions hold true.  Would I be wrong?

Eliot

On 06.07.21 20:16, Mallory Knodel wrote:
> I will have -02 in the datatracker before the 111 meeting that brings 
> in more nuance to the "end" problem as it relates to identity, and a 
> nice pointer to a game-based definition.
>
> I'm hoping to use 10 minutes to present and get feedback on which WG 
> is best to continue work on the draft.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mallory
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:23:41 +0200

On 2021-07-07, at 15:04, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I am hoping that you don't actually mean to create a new definition of a term that has been around at least since 1984.  I think what you mean to do is to establish an aspirational model that leads to a state in which certain conditions hold true.  Would I be wrong?

As in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1775
?

Grüße, Carsten