Subject: Getting started with SSH

From: Bob Rasmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:22:05 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

Since I'm about to dive headlong into SSH, I wonder if some of you folks could
answer a couple of basic questions:

1. Is the SSH protocol 1 published anywhere, online or onpaper?

2. Where is information about this meeting in Pittsburg?

3. Would anyone care to summarize the status of trademark, patent, copyright,
etc. issues re. version 1; version 2?

Thanks in advance.

-- 
Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: [email-masked]
 company e-mail: [email-masked] 
          voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com

---

From: "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:48:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 22:22:05 -0700, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
> Since I'm about to dive headlong into SSH, I wonder if some of you folks
> could answer a couple of basic questions:
> 

The SSH1 source, e.g. OpenSSH's, includes a draft protocol in nroff format.

> 3. Would anyone care to summarize the status of trademark, patent,
> copyright, etc. issues re. version 1; version 2?

Please distinguish between the protocol and the implementation.

Depending on your location, there may be patent issues regarding the RSA
and IDEA algorithms used by SSH1. (RSA is primarily a problem in the US;
IDEA primarily in Europe). The SSH2 protocol has been designed so as not to
require use of patented algorithms (IIRC, it requires Diffie-Helman rather
than RSA and an unencumbered block cipher (3DES?) rather than IDEA).

The copyright status varies per implementation: neither SSH1 nor SSH2 are
free software (in the Debian/GNU/OpenSource sense). 

OpenSSH is a free software implementation of the SSH1 protocol for Un*x
systems that has recently been modified to handle the SSH2 protocol as well. 

lsh is a free software implementation of the SSH2 protocol for Un*x systems.

PuTTY is a free software implementation of the SSH1 protocol for MS-Windows
systems.

There are several other implementations; I'm unfamiliar with their licensing
terms.

HTH,
Ray
-- 
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried 
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY, 
UNDERHAND and JUST LUCKY I GUESS.     
    - The Hipcrime Vocab by Chad C. Mulligan