Subject: Re: "ssh-rsa" public-key type

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:22:45 -0400

> "ssh-rsa" is supposed to be added to the draft as soon as the patent
> expires.

There's no particular reason to do this; certainly the patent issues
have not stopped other wg's from publishing specs for how to use RSA
encryption/signatures.

As far as I'm concerned, the time to add this to the draft is right
now.  

Even if you're concerned about patent issues, given the built-in time
delays in the last-calls, IESG queue, and RFC Editor queue, etc., etc.
if we were to start the WG last-call on the documents right now,
there's no way they'd be published as RFC's until after the patent
expiration.

If the final spec differs from existing practice, we may need to
change the name of the "ssh-rsa" to avoid interoperability problems
with existing implementations.

Other opinions?

					- Bill

---

From: "Jeff P. Van Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:08:19 -0600

> with existing implementations.

I would like to see "ssh-rsa" added to the next revision of the
draft.

Jeff P. Van Dyke
[email-masked]