Subject: RE: Kerberos

From: Joe Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:43:37 -0700

I recently submitted a draft on using Kerberos as a key exchange method for
SSH.  The approach I took is different than what Tatu proposed.  I proposed
two different methods, one which used Kerberos to authenticate the
Diffie-Hellman key exchange and one in which Kerberos was used for the
entire key exchange.  The advantage of this type of approach is that it uses
existing Kerberos infra-structure to do the exchange, without the need for
extra keys.  This method could be used to initially distribute host public
keys as well.  I also defined a user authentication method that uses that
uses information from the key exchange for authentication. I'd like to get
some feedback so I can refine (or refute ) the draft.  I've already had some
discussions with people about using GSSAPI instead of straight Kerberos.

The draft is at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-salowey-secsh-kerbkeyex-00.txt

Abstract

This memo describes two methods for using Kerberos [KRB5] for 
authentication and key exchange in the Secure Shell protocol.  The first 
method uses Kerberos as a means to authenticate the Diffie-Hellman 
exchange described in [SSH-TRANSPORT].  The second method uses Kerberos 
for authentication and key-exchange.  This memo also defines a new user 
authentication method which allows an authorization name and optional 
credentials to build upon the underlying authenticated key exchange.

Thanks,

Joe