Subject: psreq issue #13: part I: The relationship of SEND and access control

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:35:56 +0200

I am in the process of resolving issue #13.

Part of this issue seems to be the relationship between SEND
and access control.  To make the current situation clear,
I am adding the following paragraph to the Introduction section:

       Note that the SEND WG charter limits the scope of the working
       group to secure Neighbor Discovery functions.  Furthermore, the
       charter explicitly mentions zero configuration as a fundamental
       goal behind Neighbor discovery.  Together, these starting points
       imply that any network level access control functionality falls
       beyond the scope of this work.

Is that OK to everybody?

(Please refrain from discussing the relationship between
SEND and access control on this thread.  That is an
important issue, and it would be good to have a separate
thread of discussion for it.  This thread should only
discuss things directly related to psreq issue #13.
Thank you.)

--Pekka Nikander

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:05:21 -0800

That is the intent. Access control is not in the charter.

            jak

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:28:08 -0800

Hi Pekka,

>      beyond the scope of this work.

I don't know if these two points really imply your conclusion, but
you can say "Network access authentication and access control are outside
the scope of SEND protocol".

alper

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:20:34 +0200

> the scope of SEND protocol".

I changed the paragraph to read as follows:

       Note that the SEND WG charter limits the scope of the working
       group to secure Neighbor Discovery functions.  Furthermore, the
       charter explicitly mentions zero configuration as a fundamental
       goal behind Neighbor discovery.  Network access authentication
       and access control are outside the scope of this work.

Ok to everybody?

--Pekka

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:08:31 -0800

let's print it...

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pekka Nikander" <[email-masked]>
To: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "SEND WG" <[email-masked]>; "Craig Metz" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: psreq issue #13: part I: The relationship of SEND and access
control