Subject: psreq issue#24: trust models

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:34:34 +0200

http://www.tml.hut.fi/~pnr/SEND/issues/issue24.txt

In his comments, Craig Metz opinioned that the current
trust model which is based on three scenarios should
be replaced with one based on only two scenarios.

<wg chair hat off>

While I agree that the scenarios Craig describes in
his message are perhaps technically closer to what
we expect the solutions to be in reality, I still
think that the current three scenarios model is
appropriate since it describes potential deployment
schemes.

<wg chair hat on>

What is the feeling of the WG?  Should we adopt
Craig's proposal, or stick with the current structure?

--Pekka Nikander

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:59:37 +0200 (EET)

> Craig's proposal, or stick with the current structure?

I think the current structure is good.

Basically it seems like a similar approach with nuances:  
centralized/decentralized is basically just wording 3.1/3.2 and 3.3 a bit
differently -- and I believe the current models are closer to the
deployment scenarios.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:49:13 -0800

I like the three trust models. They may not capture every situation exactly, but
I think they represent three fairly common points on a continuum of deployment
situations. The ad hoc case is certainly not very common today, but perhaps more
common in the future.

We might ask for some help here with someone having more operations experience.

            jak

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:41:15 +0200

> Craig's proposal, or stick with the current structure?

Based on the replies I received I am keeping the
current structure.

--Pekka Nikander