Subject: Processing issue 16: Editorial issues from Francis Dupont

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:37:23 +0300

Issue 16 is all editorial.  Some of the remarks have been obsoleted
by other changes to the draft, and the others have now been applied
with the exception of one comment, which I am discussing privately
with Jari and Francis.  The details of the issue are available at
http://www.arkko.com/publications/send/issues/issue16.txt

The comments to the ND overview section were quite extensive,
leading to (at least almost) substantial changes.  Therefore
I am including the new text here:

    The NDP messages are always meant to be used within a link, and never
    intended to leak outside of it.  The destination and source addresses
    used in these messages are as follows:

    o  Neighbor Solicitation: The destination address is either the
       solicited-node multicast address, a unicast address, or an anycast
       address.  The source address is either the unspecified address (in
       DAD) or a unicast address assigned to the sending interface.  In a
       typical case, the source address is equal to the source address of
       the outgoing packet, locally triggering the need to send the
       solicitation.

    o  Neighbor Advertisement: The destination address is either a
       unicast address or the all nodes multicast address [13].  The
       source address is a unicast address assigned to the sending
       interface.

    o  Router Solicitation: The destination address is typically the all
       routers multicast address [13].  The source address is either the
       unspecified address or a unicast address assigned to the sending
       interface.  An unspecified source address does not have any
       special semantics; it is just an optimization for startup.

    o  Router Advertisement: The destination address can be either a
       unicast or the all nodes multicast address [13].  The source
       address is a link-local address assigned to the sending interface.

    o  Redirect: This message is always sent to the source address of the
       packet that triggered the Redirect.  Hosts verify that the IP
       source address of the Redirect is the same as the current
       first-hop router for the specified ICMP Destination Address.
       Rules in [13] dictate that anycast, or multicast addresses may not
       be used as source addresses.  If the source address is an
       unspecified address, it is impossible to send a Redirect, since
       the unspecified address is forbidden as the destination address.
       Therefore, the destination address must always be a unicast
       address.

       The source address is a link-local address assigned to the sending
       interface.

Comments?  [13] is RFC 3513.

Once I get the one remaining comment resolved, I will send another
e-mail, and close the issue, unless there are further comments.

--Pekka Nikander

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------