Subject: Source Address Selection and CGA relationship

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:55:56 +0200

Folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding the dependance between SEND and default 
address selections algorithms [RFC3484]. 

While using SEND, a node only benefits from SEND if itself and its on-link 
correspondent (that is, either an on-link router or the other communication 
endpoint if it's on-link) both uses a CGA to mutually denotes each other. 

Hence, perhaps the SEND protocol specification should state that: "Rule X:  
Prefer CGA. If SA is a CGA and SB is not, then prefer SA." ?

In case the remaining questions being:

o Where should this check be done relatively to others source address 
selection rules (like home/CoA or public/tmp checks)?

o Should the sense of this preference be reversible for (mostly diagnostic) 
applications that aren't interested in having a "secure" network (e.g., 
parallel fping) ? An addendum might be "Implementations MUST/SHOULD provide a 
mechanism allowing an application to reverse the sense of this preference and 
prefer non-CG-Addresses over CG-Addresses (e.g., via appropriate API 
extensions)."

What do you folks think?

BTW, I co-authored a draft about a source address selection API allowing to 
tweak RFC3484 specified default behavior that partly address the CGA case: 
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/iddoctype.pl?letsgo=draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-01>

Thanks,

--julien

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------