Subject: New Issue: Signature inconsistency between the CGA and NDOPTs drafts

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:32:49 +0300

Folks,

I am (finally) finishing the first official WG version of the NDOPTs
base spec, and editing in the resolutions for the issues solved at
the list.  (I am doing this as a proxy for Jari since he is currently
unavailable).

While doing my first round through the draft, I noticed an inconsistency
between the CGA draft and the NDOPTs draft, wrt. to signatures.

The CGA draft states as follows:

    To sign a message, a node SHOULD do the following:

    ....

    o  Generate the RSA signature using the RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5
       [PKCS.1.1993] signature algorithm with the SHA-1 hash algorithm.
       The inputs to the generation operation are the private key and the
       concatenation created above.

The NDOPTs draft states as follows:

       The signature is made using the RSA algorithm and MUST be encoded
       as private key encryption in PKCS #1 format [18]. The signature
       value is computed with the RSASSA-PKCS1-v2_1 algorithm and SHA-1
       hash as defined in [18].

These seem to be in conflict.  Which one is the right one, 1.5 or 2.1?
I have never played with the exact details of signatures, and
therefore I can't suggest either.

--Pekka Nikander

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:59:15 +0300

> These seem to be in conflict.  Which one is the right one, 1.5 or 2.1? 

2.1. This issue was raised earlier by Pasi Eronen and Valtteri
Niemi, registered as issue #9. They were right, I think. I
edited a fix for this issue in an intermediate draft version,
which you have. So it looks like the CGA draft needs to be
changed in this respect.

--Jari