Subject: CGA Issue #8: Extra stuff at the end of CGA parameters (Thomas Narten)

From: "Tuomas Aura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:35:25 -0800

Thomas Narten:

Comment:
>    SubjectPublicKeyInfo data structure. Future versions of this
>    specification may add new fields to the end of the CGA Parameters 
>    and the verifier SHOULD ignore any unrecognized data that follows 
>    the encoded public key.

I don't understand what this is trying to say. This document defines
what gets compared, used, etc. No reading of this spec should be taken
to mean that "extra stuff after the end of the defined fields" should
somehow be used as part of the SEND computations. Thus, the above
would be a MUST (rather than a SHOULD), but I'd really like to
understand why this needs mentioning at all?

What problem/concern is the above trying to warn about?

---
   
Tuomas Aura:

Good point. This sentence is irrelevant and should be deleted. 
The original reason for including this sentence was to enable 
compatibility with potential future extensions, such as a second 
public key. But the NDOPTS draft prevents compatibility with such 
extensions anyway. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
body to <[email-masked]>.
Archive: http://standards.ericsson.net/lists/ietf-send/maillist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.