Subject: Rkward over the Long Island roa

From: Wedderburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:17:53 +0200

Irled around. A limousine, wheels just grazing the curb, was gliding
slowly and silently past him, and from the window a woman's arm,
white-gloved and dainty, was extended, and from the fingers to the
pavement fluttered an envelope--and the car leaped forward. For the
fraction of a second, Jimmie Dale stood dazed, immovable, a gamut of
emotions, surprise, fierce exultation, amazement, a strange joy, a
mighty uplift, swirling upon him--and then, snatching up the envelope
from the ground, he sprang out into the road after the car. It was the
one chance he had ever had, the one chance she had ever given him, and
he had seen--a white-gloved arm! He could not reach the car, it was
speeding away from him like an arrow now, but there was something else
that would do just as well, something that with all her cleverness she
had overlooked--the car's number dangling on the rear axle, the rays of
the little lamp playing on the enamelled surface of the plate! Gasping,
panting, he held his own for a yard or more, and there floated back to
him a little silvery laugh from the body of the limousine, and then
Jimmie Dale laughed, too, and stopped--it was No. 15,836! He stood and
watched the car d