Subject: Re: [sfc] [nsc] Time to get to work!

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:24:58 -0500

Thanks Adrian for all your help getting this WG chartered!

WG:

We've got plenty of work to do, and we're pleased to see that folk are
already getting to it (a number of new and revised IDs have appeared).

Just to recap where we are, our milestones are as follows:

Goals and Milestones:

  Apr 2014 - Submit to IESG Information document defining the SFC
  problem statement and core use cases
  
  Apr 2014 - Consult with OPS area on possible SFC charter
  modifications for management and configuration of SFC components
  related to the support of Service Function Chaining
  
  Jan 2015 - Submit to IESG Informational document defining the
  architecture for SFC
  
  Jan 2015 - Informational document defining the control plane
  requirements for conveying information between control or management
  elements and SFC implementation points
  
  Aug 2015 - Submit to IESG Standards Track document specifying the
  generic service function chaining header encapsulation

With that in mind, our highest priority items for the short term are:

1) Finish the problem statement document.

2) Start working out the architecture.

3) Begin figuring out what the WG wants to do with regards to
"management" and/or the "control plane" that relates to the Service
Function instances and how they are to learn how they are to process
the packets that traverse them relating to specific service function
chains. Once we have a better idea of what work is needed here, we
will go back sync up with the ADs  on how best to do the work.

We'll be sending followup notes on the individual topics, but feel
free to chime in with thoughts/ideas on what our priorities should be.

Jim & Thomas

---

From: "Hongyu Li (Julio)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:38:38 +0000

I agree to use this draft as the basis for our first milestone. One comment here. As the charter says, we need to define problem statement and core use cases. Current section 4 of draft-quinn-sfc-problem-statement-02 is obviously not persuasive enough. Suggest referring to draft-liu-sfc-use-cases and incorporate more valuable use cases.

Cheers,
Hongyu

-----Original Message-----
From: sfc [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas Narten
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [sfc] [nsc] Time to get to work!

WG:

We've got plenty of work to do, and we're pleased to see that folk are already getting to it (a number of new and revised IDs have appeared).

Goals and Milestones:

  

3) Begin figuring out what the WG wants to do with regards to "management" and/or the "control plane" that relates to the Service Function instances and how they are to learn how they are to process the packets that traverse them relating to specific service function chains. Once we have a better idea of what work is needed here, we will go back sync up with the ADs  on how best to do the work.

We'll be sending followup notes on the individual topics, but feel free to chime in with thoughts/ideas on what our priorities should be.

Jim & Thomas

_______________________________________________
sfc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sfc