Subject: [sfc] draft-ietf-sfc-control-plane-02 comment

From: "Evangelos Haleplidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 19:29:24 +0200

Greetings to the list,

Just a small comment on the control plane draft
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-control-plane-02.

I think that it will be useful to reference RFC 7426
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7426)within this document. 

In RFC 7426 we discuss some similar concepts to those discussed in the draft
and specifically on centralized/distributed issues and also terminology and
details for control plane interfaces that could be used as basis for
terminology.

Regards,

Evangelos.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 10:39:36 +0000

Hi Evangelos,

Thank for the comment and for sharing the pointer.

I'm not convinced it is appropriate to add a pointer to an SDN document for the simple reason that we don't assume that SFC is deployed as part of an SDN architecture. Of course, SFC techniques can be of great help in an SDN solution, but that's one deployment model among others.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Med

De : Evangelos Haleplidis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : jeudi 14 janvier 2016 18:29
À : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : draft-ietf-sfc-control-plane-02 comment

Greetings to the list,

Just a small comment on the control plane draft https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sfc-control-plane-02.
I think that it will be useful to reference RFC 7426 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7426)within this document.

In RFC 7426 we discuss some similar concepts to those discussed in the draft and specifically on centralized/distributed issues and also terminology and details for control plane interfaces that could be used as basis for terminology.

Regards,
Evangelos.

---

From: "Evangelos Haleplidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:45:18 +0200

Greetings Med,

Thanks for taking into consideration the comment. 

While I agree with your response and understand that SFC can be deployed as
part of an SDN architecture or not, however the comment was mostly on
terminology reference and considerations on control vs management and
interfaces that are described in RFC7426 which you may want to implement as
part of the SFC architecture, irrespective of whether you use SDN or not. 

As a side note, imho when you discuss the separation logically or physically
of the SFC control plane from the SFFs, this tends to fall in part at the
realm of network programmability. What other deployment models do you have
in mind?

Regards,

Evangelos.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:40
To: Evangelos Haleplidis; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-sfc-control-plane-02 comment

Hi Evangelos,

I’m not convinced it is appropriate to add a pointer to an SDN document for
the simple reason that we don’t assume that SFC is deployed as part of an
SDN architecture. Of course, SFC techniques can be of great help in an SDN
solution, but that’s one deployment model among others. 

Thank you.

Cheers,

Med

Greetings to the list,

Regards,

Evangelos.