Subject: [sfc] Advancing the NSH document

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:30:06 -0400

Draft -14 has been posted this morning.  As far as the chairs can tell, 
this resolves the items mentioned since the posting of -13, and 
therefore resolves all WG comments (with rough consensus; we understand 
that there are still pieces individuals would like to see changed.)

Below is the shepherd writeup I expect to submit as part of the handoff 
to Alia for moving this document forward.

Essay format shepherd writeup for draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-14

The writeup is being prepared by one of the working group co-chairs, 
Joel Halpern.   It is prepared for consideration by the community, the 
IESG, and the responsible AD, Alia Atlas.

This document describes a Network Service Header (NSH) inserted onto 
packets or frames to realize service function paths.  NSH also provides 
a mechanism for metadata exchange along the instantiated ervice path. 
NSH is the SFC encapsulation required to support the Service Function 
Chaining (SFC) Architecture (defined in RFC7665).

The working group is requesting that this packet format and handling 
information be published as a Proposed Standard RFC.  It defines an 
interoperable mechanism to achieve the stated goals.

There are multiple corporate and open source implementations of this 
protocol.

The working group has had many discussions on this document.  Many 
individuals from many companies have helped bring together this 
solution.  Over the last 9 months significant effort has gone into 
fixing issues raised by earlier reviews.  While there is still some 
disagreement, all technical limitations are identified in the document 
and dealt with in fashions acceptable to the rough consensus of the 
working group.

As required by IETF process, all front page editors have explicitly 
confirmed that there is no undisclosed relevant IPR.

This document does normatively reference and build upon RFC 7665, which 
is an informational RFC published by the working group.

Thank you,
Joel (and Jim)