Subject: [sfc] Kathleen Moriarty's Abstain on draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-27: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:04:41 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sfc-nsh-27: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sfc-nsh/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for the new security considerations section.  The added
text to fully explain the current state as well as the pitfalls of the solution
is quite helpful.  The work put into understanding the issues (both from the
security side as well as from the architecture/solution limitations) and
documenting them was substantial and I hope it helps improve future work.  I do
understand that the WG has hurdles to provide integrity protection, but also
don't see immediate solutions.  I do appreciate the text that acknowledges this
problem and that offers some mitigating options.  While I appreciate the
changes, I'd like to see better options going forward in routing area protocols
and as such, I will abstain since the security property of integrity is not
addressed in this solution.