Subject: [sidr] Protocol Action: 'The RPKI/Router Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-26.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:14:50 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The RPKI/Router Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-26.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr/

Technical Summary

In order to verifiably validate the origin ASs of BGP announcements,
routers need a simple but reliable mechanism to receive RPKI
[I-D.ietf-sidr-arch] prefix origin data from a trusted cache.  This
document describes a protocol to deliver validated prefix origin data
to routers.

Working Group Summary

There was significant discussion on-list about authentication
protocols to be used between the 2 parties in play
(router/cache), this did wind down to a conclusion though, 
which is a positive result. There was significant discussion
during and after IETF Last Call on the implications of
various TCP security models, and the draft has been
updated to reflect the conclusion of these discussions.

Document Quality

There are no concerns over the quality of the document.
As observed by reference in the document there are multiple
implementations of the protocol.

Personnel

Chris Morrow is the Document Shepherd.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.